- Select “Parental Controls” icon in the Wii U Menu.
- Cycle through the parental controls explanation until you are prompted to “create a four-digit PIN.”Once a PIN is created, you must select a “Secret Question” in order to retrieve your PIN in the event it is forgotten. In addition to a “Secret Question” you also have the option to register your e-mail address in order to retrieve your PIN.
- Select “Parental Controls Settings” and then “Game Rating” to block or allow access to games based on their ESRB rating. Use L Stick to move the slider that appears on the Wii U GamePad controller screen to select which ratings are “Allowed” and “Not Allowed.” Rating Category definitions are displayed on the television and can be scrolled through with the R Stick.
- Once finished select “Confirm,” “Back,” and “Quit” to exit
After selecting “Parental Controls Settings” you may also adjust:
- Online Interactions in Games – Restrict the exchange of game content and in-game communication over the Internet
- Internet Browser – Restrict web browsing
- Wii U Shopping Services – Manage the use of credit cards and software purchases in the Nintendo eShop and similar services
- Miiverse – Restrict content viewing or posting within Miiverse
- Friend Registration – Manage friend connections
- Entertainment Excluding Games – Restrict streaming video content as well as software with video playback functions
- Data Management – Restrict the transfer or deletion of software and save data
- Internet Settings – Prohibit the user from accessing “Internet Settings” in the “System Settings”
Note: Limiting or blocking the use of credit cards and software purchases in the Nintendo eShop will not prevent children from downloading free software, so make sure you also set restrictions based on the ESRB-assigned age and content rating.
- Wii U is also compatible with most Wii™ software and accessories. Access “Wii Menu Settings” to manage Wii parental controls.
- The account holder will always receive an email whenever a purchase is made via the Nintendo eShop.
For more information on Wii U parental controls, visit: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/parents