Vice President, Privacy Certified
The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) is the non-profit, self-regulatory body for the video game industry. ESRB is seeking a Vice President of Privacy Certified to provide hands-on guidance about and development of member companies’ data collection and privacy policies and practices. This position is currently remote due to COVID-19, with generous and flexible telecommute options post-COVID. Candidates local to NYC are preferred but individuals outside the Tri-State area will be considered for a remote opportunity.
Established in 2000, ESRB Privacy Certified is an annual membership, privacy compliance and certification program that works largely with companies in the video game and toy industries to adopt and maintain lawful and responsible online privacy practices for both child-directed and non-child-directed products. In 2001, EPC became one of the first Federal Trade Commission-approved “Safe Harbors” under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), a responsibility we take very seriously. ESRB certifies and monitors hundreds of websites and mobile apps, as well as some connected toys, providing an initial assessment of each product and a twice-annual audit.
Reporting to the President of ESRB, the Vice President of Privacy Certified oversees the development of data collection and privacy policies and practices. The Vice President is responsible for the compliance and enforcement for ESRB Privacy Certified (EPC) and oversees the implementation and changes to EPC’s program requirements. This position develops partnerships, manages the EPC blog, and engages in speaking events to increase the visibility of EPC. The Vice President also serves as ESRB’s and IARC’s internal privacy counsel.
- Oversee and advise member companies on how to comply with EPC program requirements, applicable laws and regulations, and best practices.
- Oversee compliance and enforcement for EPC, including serving as the escalation point to address unresolved compliance issues by member companies.
- Track and update member companies on relevant, material privacy-related developments, including new laws or proposed laws, regulatory initiatives, and changes to storefront policies and guidance.
- Create and update privacy-related guidance materials (e.g., checklists, summaries, etc.) and training materials for member companies.
- Manage membership renewals to ensure maximum retention of existing members.
- Identify, enlist, and oversee the onboarding of new member companies.
- Increase visibility of EPC, including through speaking engagements and management of the EPC blog and social channels.
- Develop partnerships with third parties to extend member benefits and services.
- Interact with Federal Trade Commission and other regulatory bodies, including taking the lead with the preparation of EPC’s annual Safe Harbor report to the FTC.
- Manage EPC’s annual operating budget.
- Oversee EPC staff, including review of all compliance reviews and reports.
- Serve as ESRB’s and IARC’s internal privacy counsel, including maintaining and updating website and app privacy policies, responding to access and erasure requests, and maintaining ESRB’s Privacy Shield certification.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to effectively supervise
- Excellent research, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Presentation and public speaking skills, or the willingness to grow these skills
- Ability to communicate well with members, potential members, and internal staff
- Excellent analytical skills
Required Education and/or Experience
- Juris Doctor
- Minimum of ten years of relevant privacy experience
- Strong knowledge of U.S. federal and state privacy laws and regulations, including COPPA, CAN-SPAM, CCPA, etc.
- Strong knowledge of foreign privacy laws, regulations, and Codes of Conduct (e.g., EU’s GDPR and ePrivacy Directive, UK Data Protection Act 2018, UK Age Appropriate Design Code, and Canada’s PIPEDA)
- Working knowledge of mobile platforms (iOS and Android) and Internet of Things
- Basic understanding of privacy-enhancing technologies and network scanning tools
Preferred Education and/or Experience
- CIPP certification
- Prior experience interacting with Federal Trade Commission and other governmental agencies
How To Apply
If you believe you meet the requirements, please submit a resume to the Apply button below.
Additional inquiries and questions can be emailed to Beth Cessna at Beth.Cessna@cessnasearch.com or contact 202-232-1765.
About The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB)
The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) is the non-profit, self-regulatory body that assigns ratings for video games and apps, so parents can make informed choices. The ESRB rating system encompasses guidance about age-appropriateness, content, and interactive elements. As part of its self-regulatory role for the video game industry, the ESRB also enforces industry-adopted advertising guidelines and helps ensure responsible web and mobile privacy practices under its Privacy Certified program. ESRB was established in 1994 by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA).
Based in New York, ESRB offers a competitive salary and bonus with excellent benefits and work environment.
ESRB is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
About The Privacy Certified Program
Established in 2000, ESRB Privacy Certified is an annual membership, privacy compliance and certification program that works largely with companies in the video game and toy industries to adopt and maintain lawful and responsible online privacy practices for both child-directed and non-child-directed products. In 2001, EPC became one of the first Federal Trade Commission-approved “Safe Harbors” under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”), a responsibility we take very seriously. We certify and monitor hundreds of websites and mobile apps, as well as some connected toys, providing an initial assessment of each product and a twice-annual audit.
About Cessna & Associates, LLC
Cessna & Associates, LLC is a boutique HR consultancy partnering with mission driven, non-profit organizations. Our goal is to identify the best potential candidates that the market has to offer.
The Power of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Fuels Success
Cessna & Associates embraces and celebrates the strength that diversity brings to our organization. Just as we are deliberate in our own pursuit of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives, our efforts support our clients’ DEI success. We drive every search with an unyielding focus to create an even playing field for all candidates and assess their ability to be “culture adds,” not merely “fits” for our clients. Our team builds and nurtures this rich tapestry of diversity for ourselves and for our clients.